Indigent Services

Office Overview

The Indigent Services department assists Blaine County residents with the payment of medical and some non medical expenses. Assistance from Blaine County is required to be “a last resort". All counties in Idaho, including Blaine County, require repayment of any taxpayer funds used to assist a county resident under Idaho law.


Before assistance can be provided, however, certain requirements will have to be met and the applicant must appear for an interview. Applicants must be prepared to provide personal information regarding living situation, income, assets of all types, insurance, resources, expenses, and any other documentation required to determine eligibility. 

Once this information has been gathered, a thorough investigation will be conducted to substantiate the data.  A recommendation will be made to the Board of County Commissioners for approval or denial. Any approvals will also include an order to reimburse the county and the applicant will be required to sign a reimbursement agreement.

Important Information

Idaho law provides that an automatic lien is created on all real and personal property of those who file an application for county medical assistance under these laws.

If federal, state or other programs of assistance are available to meet the needs of a household, an eligible applicant must apply for those programs before the county may provide medical or non-medical assistance. If denied such other assistance, the applicant must pursue available administrative appeals for those programs to the final administrative level.

If an applicant files an application for assistance and withholds or gives false or incomplete information in order to get assistance from the County that he/she is not entitled to, that person could be found guilty of a Misdemeanor.

US Residency Status

  • For a medical application we will ask for your residency status solely for the purpose of determining the point of medical stabilization.  This information is not a factor in your ability to qualify for our program. (if you have questions regarding how we use this information, please call our office for more details.)
  • For a non-medical application we do not ask about your residency status.  


Have a case with us and want to make a payment?

GOVPros Clear button 1 Opens in new window